Redundant?

Public Announcement: Due to uncontrollable factors I have not been able to have internet access as much as I would like. This current situation should be in affect till Monday. Then it will be a new day, oh yes -a new day, for there will be wireless in my apartment. The only downside is I won’t have an excuse for not posting more often. Now on with my thought/question:

For the past three days we’ve been reading Numbers 7, which is 89 verses, in staff meeting. The majority of the chapter goes something like this:

"The one who brought his offering on the first day was Nahshon son of Amminadab of the tribe of Judah.
His offering was one silver plate weighing a hundred and thirty shekels, and one silver sprinkling bowl weighing seventy shekels, both according to the sanctuary shekel, each filled with fine flour mixed with oil as a grain offering; 14 one gold dish weighing ten shekels, filled with incense; 15 one young bull, one ram and one male lamb a year old, for a burnt offering; 16 one male goat for a sin offering; 17 and two oxen, five rams, five male goats and five male lambs a year old, to be sacrificed as a fellowship offering. This was the offering of Nahshon son of Amminadab." (Numbers 7:12-17)


This pattern continues for the next 80 verses, then the author sums up the totals of all the gifts brought. Why didn’t they just say that in the first place? I realize that all Scripture is God-breathed and useful…but the usefulness of this chapter is past my current understanding. I really don’t see the value or repeating 12 times the same information. Anyone care to explain? (please do it with grace)

Comments

Julie said…
Hey Elizabeth,
I was wondering if you have a hat pattern. I am knitting a hat for my mom, it is a surprise and I am looking for a good hat pattern. My scarf that I made for her has come out very good. So if you could help that would be great! Thank in advance. Hope everything is going well for you!
matthew said…
If it didn't include a big list of numbers, what would we call the book?
Combs said…
I'd have to read more to put it in context, but if the rest of it is exactly the same...God wants the same from every person no matter their status in life. Or maybe it's what Nahshon brought that was important. All the gold and grain, plus the 3 oxen, 6 rams, 21 male goats, and 6 male lambs exactly a year old, all most likely to the exact specifications that was required. I would say that it was note worthy on the simple matter of the amount. who knows...it's late and I'm starting to confuse myself.
A.T.H.
Elizabeth said…
Julie, I am sure I do, but most of my patterns are back in Canada. Have you tried online. There are some good free patterns. And I like Steph has one...but it might be crochet.

Matthew, good point.

Aaron, the start sound good, lost you in the middle, agree with the end for sleep
jen said…
Okay, my question is this - did you ever get to see Narnia??
Steph said…
liz my dearest you are welcome to come at any time! if you have a way to make it happen it would be so very very wonderful. you've just made my week, thank you
Sarah Gomez said…
My mom and I just read that recently and had the exact same question. We didn't come up with a decent answer