Monday, July 31, 2006
As a campout we bunked indoors and there were no fires or toasted marshmallows. On the plus side, the sky was clear and full of stars. The best open sky I’ve seen in the past three years. For more pictures you can visit Journey on the Other Side.
Five challenges finished only twenty to go.
Thursday, July 27, 2006
Not doing very well with the half marathon training. Woke up one day to go for a run…then hit snooze. (#5)
Made an apple pie with the kindergarten class used a new crust recipe. Also different friends introduced me to the world of Japanese tempura (thanks Yoko), sushi (thanks Sayoko), and okonomiyaki (thanks Noriko). (#6)
We had a lesson on kites and I was so excited to go out and fly one…only Hideki couldn’t find the schools in the storage closet. So it was a no go. (#7)
Told all three Pogo stories to my class, showed me I was out of practice and sort of started writing a new one about kites. (#13)
Finished one drawing, started another and did two character studies. (#14)
Passage of focus was 2 Tim 1:7 (#8)
Had two interesting talks about God. The first started as a conversation about missionaries, which lead the friend ask what does "grace" mean. Used the bridge illustration to explain. She ended saying that she had never heard this before and had to think about it. The other was about the Bible and its importance to life. My friend’s conclusion was that it is treasure for all people. (#23)
Total Challenges finished: Three –only twenty-two to go.
Wednesday, July 19, 2006
You scored as Maximus.
After his family was murdered by the evil emperor Commodus, the great Roman general Maximus went into hiding to avoid Commodus's assassins. He became a gladiator, hoping to dominate the colosseum in order to one day get the chance of killing Commodus. Maximus is valiant, courageous, and dedicated. He wants nothing more than the chance to avenge his family, but his temper often gets the better of him.
Which Action Hero Would You Be? v. 2.0
created with QuizFarm.com
Lastly why does everything good have to be over marketed with helpful companions, journals, and workbooks? Why can’t good books just stand alone?
Monday, July 17, 2006
At the end of June a friend was sharing her current fears and struggles. We met at a camp when I was on Evidence, she will be starting her senior year in the fall. We made commitment to read 2 Timothy 1:7, twice a day. We also agreed to pray before reading, meditate on the words and memorizing it. This is the out come in her own words (used with permission):
okay...well last night a few of my friends from one of my youth groups stayed the night at someone’s house and I brought up the thing I’m most afraid of...which is demons. I don't want to see one. and so we all got really scared and we talking and then the verse just popped in my head and it was weird like it changed... and we turned on a light but still we felt the spirit of God and it was crazy...and I don't know about the second half of the verse but God did not give us a spirit of fear...but maybe of power to count on him and stuff like that ....and anyways it was almost like we were inviting demons because we were scared and they want that and as soon as we started quoting. it was amazing!
Wednesday, July 05, 2006
1. Lists are great.
2. Lee-Ann is now six (her birthday is June 18th). She had a very cool dinosaur party with a dino-cake and everything. Way to go Mom!
3. Lee-Ann is very healthy, still in remission. Should be completely done all chemo treatment by the end of October. Praise the Lord! (Dad if you have more/better/clearer/recenter info please post it as a comment, thanks).
4. My dad has been transferred to Winnipeg. Right now their house is on the market. We want the house to sell so they can move together during the middle of August. If it doesn’t sell Mom and Lee-Ann will stay in NS.
5. Bought a plane ticket and a yukata. Both make me very happy.
6. I leave Japan one month from today, on the 4th of August won’t actually arrive home till the 5th. Got to love time changes. Another factor is the flight arrives in Vancouver 2 hours after the flights for the East Coast have departed. I get a whole day to see the city. Unless I am too jet legged to function.
7. I am looking forward to seeing family, hugs, milk, pizza, cheaper movie tickets, things being bigger, and peanut butter cups.
8. Classes end July 29th, that's only four weeks away. For those weeks my kindergarten themes are going to be 'Summer Fun', 'Wheels and Wings', 'Jungle Time' and 'Once Upon a Time'.
9. I only have five more weeks Japan. Having mixed emotions. It also means every spare moment seems to be booked up with for all the people who want to see me one last time.
10. September 1st I’ll be starting a position as "Pastor Liz" at New Hope Wesleyan. I am going to be working with both the children and the youth.
11. Currently looking for an apartment in Kentville area. Actually right now my parents are doing all the scouting and hard work.
12. The cliché "never say never" is proven true...again. This time the "it's never going to happen" is about church membership. I’m becoming Wesleyan.
13. That's all for now.
Sunday, July 02, 2006
♪ Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you♪
Take a moment and jump over to Selinda’s Blog and leave a birthday blessing.