Books, Movies, and Fiction in General

I’m sitting in Halifax, anticipating a reunion with my dear Mission Buddy and Fikile (my language teacher while on internship) at Bethany tomorrow, waiting for water to boil for tea, chatting with Heidi Bezanson , and I just set her curtains on fire. True Story.

I’ve finished the third book of 2007, God in the Alley by Greg Paul. Two summers ago, intrigued by the title I picked it up and finished it in days. I recently started to reread the book at a slower pace. I found the reread insightful, inspiring, heart breaking, and challenging. There is more then one worth while quoted, this one came near the end:

A long as I pretend to myself and others that I am “just fine, thanks” I keep people-and even God; especially God!-at a distance.

Because lists are just ever so cool and I am as curious about my viewing habits as reading going to try keep track of the movies I watch this year. I may or may not post them all. But this is the list thus far:

-Just Like Heaven
-Cars
-White Dragon
-Warrior
-Immortal
-Marilyn Hotchkiss’ Ballroom Dancing and Charm School

I love fiction and also believe it has great potential to opening eyes to spiritual truth. After reading Matthew’s post on the Christian books legally allowed to be printed in China triggered my thoughts on the fiction stories that have influenced my relationship with God positively. What would the list look like? I came up with a dozen or so titles. I am interested in hearing what others think…So I’ll start a list (because as stated above lists are the hottest thing around). And unlike Matthew I’ll allow more then one suggestion from the same person. I’ll get us started:

1) The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe –C.S. Lewis

Comments

Sarah Beth said…
One fiction series that really positively influenced my faith as a teen was the Sierra Jensen Series. The same author also wrote a series about another girl Christy who I read some books about but wasn't nearly as into. The Sierra Jensen series was about a girl named Sierra Jensen, (surprise, surprise) and things in her life, and I was always around the same age as she was in the books, and it was great to have another teenage girl to identify with and the books always made me examine my faith and they really had a positive impact on me.
matthew said…
hey, you only pretend linked to my blog! How sneaky :)

Since I really don't read fiction I'm not sure I have a suggestion to add. How about the Screwtape Letters?
Elizabeth said…
I read the Christy books, but was never able to get my hands on Sierra books. they looked good. Good suggestion.

Matthew, sorry. When I added the link it was typed to you. This is the second time a link hasn't worked right. Agan sorry I'll try to fix.
Combs said…
The Screwtape letters definatly counts in this list, and I would add The Great Devorce. C.S. has an amazing way of marrying religious fact and human imagination into works of liturature that have stood and will continue to stand the tests of time.
I think one the greatest images how sin distorts the purity of creation comes from The Great Devorce. The image of the lizard of lust that digs it claws into the man's shoulders, but the turns into the a gleaming white horse of Love is simply masterful. I can't do it justice here.
A.T.H.