It All Starts Here...

I am overwhelmed. I have realized there is a need for a study/lesson on basic Christian beliefs and who God is and Jesus’ life with two different groups that I interact with. The issue is where to begin. There are so many possibilities. I am struggling with answering their question, focusing on Jesus life, doing a general history, or looking at key themes. Everything is interconnected but it all can’t be the first thing. I’m going to wrestle with this a while longer. If you were in my shoes where would you begin?

Comments

Combs said…
I always think it's best to start with the questions that are already being asked. The questions are what they are interested in. Chances are those question will lead to new ones, and eventually the direction of the study will write itself. Other that that I've found that following the Nicean or Apostle's Creed give a very nice base to start with. You can even break them down to the individual phrases, and do one a week.
A.T.H.
Steph said…
I would start with John, and in-depth study, and answer questions as they came along. There is a LOT of theology in John, as well as a LOT of questions (Jesus wept? miracles? not healing everyone? God forsaking him? what it means to be saved).
But, I love theology and loose structure, so it would work for me, might not be for everyone tho.
matthew said…
We've talked about this a bit. I'd do a very detailed church history study starting with the founder (Jesus). In studying Jesus I wouldn't so much pick 1 of Matthew/Mark/Luke/John so much as I'd attempt to go chronologically through Jesus' life using the most applicable and appropriate stories from all four. After finishing the ascension I'd do the same in studying the Apostles, then the early church fathers, then the changes that came with Constantine and so on.