Rate the Fun: Settlers of Catan

For along time this was my number one game choice. The game is interesting and innovative. It won Spiel des Jahres (the German Game of the Year Awared) in 1995. There have also been a number of additions and expansions that have increased the overall play experience.

However, recently I’ve noticed my overall interest in the game has dropped. I still enjoy it and am willing to play if the group is but it is not my first choice.

The Scores:
Basic Settlers of Catan = 6
Seafarers of Catan = 6
Cities and Knights of Catan = 7

*If adding fish (an element from Traders and Barbarians expansion) add .5 to score
**If there is also Barbarians Attack! (another element option from Traders and Barbarians) and an additional .5 to score

My Favorite Set-Up:
Settlers set up would be five players (so you have build rounds in-between) cities and knights with fishes. Rating 7.5

The Rate the Fun Scale:

10 = Outstandingly Awesome Game
; Always want to play it and I expect this will never change.
9 = Excellent Game; Always want to play it.
8 = Very good game; I like to play. Probably I'll suggest it and I'll never turn down a game.
7 = Good game; Usually willing to play.
6 = Okay game; There is some element of fun or challenge; will play sporadically if in the right mood.
5 = Fair game; Slightly boring, take it or leave it.
4 =Not so good; It doesn't get me but I could be talked into it on occasion.
3 = Bad; Likely won't play this again but could be convinced.
2 = Extremely annoying game; Won't play this ever again.
1 = Clearly broken; You won't catch me dead playing this.

Comments