Thought of the Week

My church sends out a weekly eBulletin that includes a thought of the week. It was my turn to wrote it so this is what I said:

Life doesn’t always go the way we expect or plan. We have all had moments when the world came crashing in around us or it felt like the darkness had taken over. For the past eight weeks we have been looking at choices that bring healing in these struggles. We’ve discovered the importance of friends and community. That God has created us for relationships and interaction with others. This is the idea and vision behind our church’s Life Groups, that people connect, share needs, and support each.

We need people but people also need us. God’s plan for showing the world his love is us, the body of Christ. We are to “be Jesus to a hurting world.” Not just the church as an organization but you and me as people. Today, right now, you know people in need. God cares about them and their needs. He wants to use you to be Jesus to them through action. He might be nudging you to give, to share, or to listen. Are you listening or are you too busy to notice?

During my five month internship in Swaziland, Africa I attempted to learn the siSwati. One of my language tutors told me that siSwati does not have a word for “busy.” He had explained that culturally there was no need because no one was ever “too busy” for another person. People and their needs are never considered an interruption but an opportunity to connect. People matter before everything else.

That is how I want to live, as if the word “busy” does not exist in my language. There are so many things that distract and keep me busy especially with Christmas approaching. I want to put people first, to make them a priority, and show them Christ’s love with my actions. Being Jesus in this hurting world is going to look different for each of us. It may mean putting off making house renovation in order to meet a neighbour’s financial need. It could mean missing the hockey game in order give your time to someone. It may mean giving up your plans to be there for a friend. It could be send a card, pick up the phone, or making a batch of cookies. It could be giving a hug or lending a shoulder to cry on. Or it might mean that you share your story and speak the truth of what Jesus has done in your life. Being Jesus will look different for each of us but it will all communicate love.

Today ask God to show you who you can be Jesus to and how you can meet their needs.
Pastor Liz

Comments