Rate the Fun: Carcassonne

Shortly after first playing Settlers of Catan I was introduced to Carcassonne, named after a city in southern France know for its medieval stone walls. This tile-laying game won the Spiel des Jahres award in 2001. It is design for 2-5 players; I personally enjoy playing with three players. The game components are 72 tiles and 8 wooden followers for each player. Fans have nicknamed the wooden people as "meeples" short for maple people."

The game consists with placing randomly selected tiles to create the map of "Carcassonne". The tiles have an assortment features: roads, cities, cloisters, and fields. When a tile is laid it must fit with the features on all surround/touching tiles. After placing a tile player may station a follower on one feature of the just-placed tile. This claims the feature, like a city, for that player. When the city is completed the follower earns points for the player who placed the follower (even if someone else laid the finial city tile).

There have been a number of expansions released that enhance and add to the strategy and play. I've played with Inn & Cathedrals, The River and the River II.

The Score:
Carcassonne = 5.9

The Rate the Fun Scale:

10 = Outstandingly Awesome Game; Always want to play it and I expect this will never change.
9 = Excellent Game; Always want to play it.
8 = Very good game; I like to play. Probably I'll suggest it and I'll never turn down a game.
7 = Good game; Usually willing to play.
6 = Okay game; There is some element of fun or challenge; will play sporadically if in the right mood.
5 = Fair game; Slightly boring, take it or leave it.
4 =Not so good; It doesn't get me but I could be talked into it on occasion.
3 = Bad; Likely won't play this again but could be convinced.
2 = Extremely annoying game; Won't play this ever again.
1 = Clearly broken; You won't catch me dead playing this.

Comments