Canada Presents

Did you catch the Olympic opening ceremonies? I watched them last night with Kim and Brent; I can’t remember ever watching any of the pervious openings. They’re pretty amazing. I loved the countries entering. I tried hard not to judge the uniforms…it didn’t always work. A few seemed over the top or clashed with the national flag. I didn’t know I was fashion harpy.

The youth group watch “Cool Runnings” this afternoon. The lack of Jamaican bobsled team entering last night was sad; the announcer said they had failed to place. Other lows or odd points were the choice of having D Lang singing “Hallelujah.” The song was haunting and well don but it didn’t make me thing “Olympic.” Or the fiddlers who were dressed like punk Celtics. And the whole artistic number with the people wandering and sharing their energy only to be separated by ice. The most awkward moment was when the torch pillars failed to raise. But these moments were minor next to the beauty of the whole. The best moments was the Canadian athletes entering, the visual lights displays and videos on the floor especially the whales with spurting water, the Northern lights, and the mountains, and SLAM poet Shane Koyczan presenting his “We Are More.”

Comments

Anonymous said…
Nobody even mentions the poem - which I thought was the unifying event of the Olympics opening.

Janey
Anonymous said…
DUH! Many apologies.
Serves me right for thinking I had read the whole entry and for ignoring the YouTube underneath the words.

Thank you for providing a site to direct people to who didn't hear him on Opening night.

Janey