I’m Reading/I’ve Read…

I normally read two to four books at a time till one main book sparks my attention and I devour it. Since January these are a few of the books I’m reading (1-4) or have read (5-8). The grading system is just my best guess to pass on my overall feel for the book. An A+ would mean everyone everywhere should read it.

1) Free Range Knitter: Who doesn’t like reading humorous essays about knitting? I normally really enjoy Pearl-Mcapee’s (you can find her blog on my sidebar under “Yarn Harlot”) books/style this isn’t my favourite book. I’ve already signed the book out three times and it’s overdue again. I want to finish it. I will finish it. It’s so…slow at times. Grade C…don’t read unless you enjoy knitting humor.

2) The Ruby Key: It’s a children’s fiction I picked it up because the cover looked interesting. I know, I know I shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover but the artist did a good job and isn’t why they pay cover artists? I’m three chapters in find it very intriguing. There are two “races” humans and nightlings that have a contract to co-habitat till two siblings discover that their town leaders has bartered the village for eternal life. They are now trying to save everyone. Grade B

3) Tuck Everlasting: It’s another children’s book. I picked it up because I was interested in watching the Disney movie (I’ve never seen it). The book is and is not what I expected. The storyline is what I expected because I read the back cover but it’s the style that I hadn’t really counted on. It’s got a feel as if it was written in an earlier time, which makes sense since Natalie Babbitt, had it published in 1975. So, if you like children’s books pick it up. Grade B+

4) R is for Ricochet: I’m in the middle but it’s temporarily on the shelf. It’s a decent mystery. I like mysteries. I like the author and I like the style. Grade B

5) Stuart Little: A children’s story about a talking mouse and his adventures. I like the style but watching the movie has made the book seem too simple. Started reading because of the GGC but wanted to read it because I never had before. My thought is that it would be good to read to/with a little person but I would prefer Charlotte’s Web. Grade: B+

6) What The Psychic Told the Pilgrim: An account of one pilgrim’s adventures or misadventures on the Camion de Santiago. I recently discovered travel writing and fallen in love style and the Camion. Neat fact the author is Canadian from Hamilton. I actually knew where some of the pre-adventure places she mentioned are. Grade A-

7) Julie/Julia: This was my third time reading a book that had started as a blog. I’ve liked the style but didn’t care for this particular book for a few reasons. First, I saw the movie before reading the book BIG mistake. Second, I wasn’t in the mood for the style when I first started. And Lastly, she related everything back sex. Somewhere just past the middle I started to enjoy the story mostly because it was stuff that wasn’t in the movie. Grade B-

8) The Time Traveler’s Wife: Weird book, I liked the weirdness and the crazy time travel side. I liked the concept and the writing style. I even liked trying to figure out how things could fit together. The end wasn't satisfying like there should be something else said. And I didn’t care for all the sex. What is with all the sex in books? I guess it's because I normally read youth fiction or Christian non-fiction. Grade B

Comments

Unknown said…
my fifth grade teacher read us Tuck everlasting, I remember liking it. just a fun little book. the movie actually did a good job of staying true to the book.