Jess Points

I have a good friend, Jess. We haven't seen each other since college but thanks to blogging and other social networking sites we've became closer friends. We have similar interests, hobbies, and taste in books. I've also discovered if she like a band or singer I probably will too. We also share a love for challenges. So, when one of us signs up for a challenge we invite the other to join us, like NaNoWriMo or the Gilmore Girl Reading Challenge.

Jess is also a vegan. She brought my attention to reasons and choices behind vegetarianism and challenged me to live 30 days without meat. Because I love and respect her I accepted and participated in the month long food challenge in September 2008. It was doable but hard and I missed meat almost the whole month. However, I appreciate experience because it helped expand my thoughts about food, farming, and the agricultural industry along with reading The 100 Mile Diet and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle (which I haven't actually "finished" yet).

A few months back, while reading Julie and Julia I realized that I have been awarding myself "Jess Points" for vegetarian-related choices. This is new to Jess as well so you might be wondering "What exactly is a Jess Point?" Good question, they are a combination of a inner-smile, pat on the back, and a gold star all wrapped inton one that I mentally give myself for vegetarian thoughts or choices that I believe Jess would smile at or be proud of. The first "points" were award for simple acts like enjoying a reading paragraphs that are vegan-friendly or ordering the veggie nachos.

Today, a few friends from class and I decided to eat lunch together. We agreed on a small cafe style shop a few minutes walk from campus that we've all wanted to try -the Vegetarian Lunchbox. As I looked over the chalkboard menu I smiled to myself and thought, "this has to earn me a few Jess Points."

So Jess, if you ever want to come visit me in Nova Scotia, know that we can find a place to eat. And they had some yummy looking dessert.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I loved my cheddar apple panini! I have to go there again sometime.
Jecca said…
Oh Liz, I'm so honored! How sweet you are. The idea that I could have such an impact is such a blessing to me. Thank you :)

That menu looks so yummy. I will have to make a trip up. :) Love and miss you!
Elizabeth said…
Jen, I think that's what I'm going to order next time. It looked so good.

Jess, I'd love for you to visit!