Thankful Thursday -Chris Baty

I am thankful for...
Chris Baty

We have never met, never chatted, never exchanged emails (unless you count mass emails) but I am thankful for Chris Baty. In the summer of 1999, Baty had a crazy idea that it would be possible to write a novel in 30 days. 21 people participate. The next year they moved the project to November "to more fully take advantage of the miserable weather" And that was the start of National Novel Writing Month.

I discovered NaNoWriMo in the summer of 2007. I have participated every year since then. This high vilocity write by the seat of your pants approach to writing has added creativity and joy to my past five Novembers. The experience has always been rewarding even in the most stressful moments. I am thankful to Chris Baty for creating this writing challenge and community. I am thankful for his pep talks and inspirational videos every year. And I am thankful that because of him Best Word exists and I have met some great writers and amazing friends.

Yay for Chris Baty!
Some Great Chris Baty-ism:
“The biggest thing separating people from their artistic ambitions is not a lack of talent. It's the lack of a DEADLINE."

"The quickest, easiest way to produce something beautiful and lasting is to risk making something horribly crappy.”

“The world is a lot more fun when you approach it with an exuberant imperfection.”

“There's an old folk saying that goes: whenever you delete a sentence from your NaNoWriMo novel, a NaNoWriMo angel loses its wings and plummets, screaming, to the ground. Where it will likely require medical attention.

"The world needs your novel"

Comments