Coldest Night of the Year


Today was joyful. After a wonderful lunch at the market with friends I spent the afternoon volunteering with the local Coldest Night of the Year and then joined my friends for the 5km walk.

What is the Coldest Night of the Year? Their website explains that it "is a fantastically fun, family-friendly walking fundraiser that raises money for the hungry, homeless and hurting in 65 communities across Canada.

"The 2, 5 and 10km WALK is held on Saturday, February 22rd, 2014, and provides participants the opportunity to experience a hint of the challenges faced by those experiencing homelessness while raising much needed revenue for their favourite local charity.

"Since 2011 the Coldest Night of the Year has raised $2.4 million dollars through the tireless efforts of each of our well known and well respected location partners (charities)."

I was glad to be one of the over five hundred people who participated in my area this year. The local organizers goal was $50,000. What actually came in was over $78,000! The money will go to help run Open Arms, which works with the homeless and needy in the area.

Added bonus of the day, it helped me achieve my walking goal on the first day of my 100 day challenge and reconnected me with a friend who wants to walk regularly.

Day 1 Steps: 15,448

Comments

Anonymous said…
I missed out on the walk again this year - due to a cold. Maybe next year? (Third time's trying time, right?)
I was going to present you with a blanket (for Open Arms) before the walk, but my miserable cold got in the way of that too. First, I couldn't find the paperwork for handing it over, and then I did not quite get it all sewn up. Maybe next week.

Janey
janeyknitting AT yahoo DOT ca
(Change caps to symbols and lose the spaces.)