Rate the Fun is Back

Hello my name is Liz and I am a board game geek.

*Hi Liz*-supportive community response :)

Board games are one of my favourite past times/hobbies. Since 2008 when I first played Settlers of Catan I have been hooked. Some might consider me a bit "obsessive" others (mostly people found on Board Game Geek forums) just a newbie because my collection is currently less than 50. Wherever you are on that scale, I love board games and I love sharing what I love.

In 2009 I started sharing and rating the games I was discovering on this blog but for a variety of reasons I didn't keep up with it. I want to change that. There is more to board games than just what Monopoly or Risk have to offer. For me, board games are engaging, stimulating, relationship building and just plain fun. Board games are a great social activity because...
  • games provide opportunities for face to face human interaction in a increasingly digital-social media driven world
  • games help build character because losing happens and sulking or flipping the table is not okay
  • a new game is about the same price as it is for the average group/family to go to a movie (maybe even cheaper depending on the game/size of group -especially when adding in snacks or if anyone in that group of friends also has to pay for babysitters)
  • a game has longer lasting value then a movie because it can be played over and over while going to the movies is a one time event
  • there is such a variety of games available. Regardless of the group size, age level, skill level, time restraint or interests there is perfect game from party games to intense stagey, from ten minutes to eight hours, and from back stabbing competitive to completely cooperative.

For these reasons I am going to make a second attempt at regularly sharing and rating the games I am discovering, playing, loving or hating.


Here's What to Expect:
  • I am going to give you a bit of information about the game. This could include the description from the back of the box or rules, the publisher, the game style or mechanic, recommenced number of players, comparisons to similar games, and information about expansions.
  • A link to the games board game geek page (which is also where much of my information will be from.)
  • Images of the box and the game set up.
  • If it is available a tutorial, review or Will Wheaton's Table Top video.
  • My thoughts of the game including what I liked and didn't like.
  • My rating out of ten.

The Rules:
  • For a game to be rated I must have played it a minimum three times.
  • Expansions reviews will be included with the base game. If I play an expansion after a games been reviewed then I'll add the new information and repost.
  • Order of game reviews are subject to my interest and may or may not be in alphabetical order.
The Scale*
10 = Outstandingly Awesome Game; Always want to play it and I expect this will never change.
9 = Excellent Game; Always want to play it.
8 = Very good game; I like to play. Probably I'll suggest it and I'll never turn down a game.
7 = Good game; Usually willing to play.
6 = Okay game; There is some element of fun or challenge; will play sporadically if in the right mood.
5 = Fair game; Slightly boring or not fun for me. I can take it or leave it.
4 = Not so good; It doesn't get me but I could be talked into it on occasion.
3 = Bad; Likely won't play this again but could be convinced.
2 = Extremely annoying game; Won't play this ever again.
1 = Clearly broken; You won't catch me dead playing this.

Games To Be Rated:
Agricola
Alhambra
Bananagrams
Catan Card Game (2 players)
Dixit
Dominion
Dutch Blitz
Elfenland
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
Forbidden Desert
Hanabi
Le Havre: The Inland Port (2 players)
Hive (2 players)
Jambo (2 players)
Lost Cities (2 players)
Once Upon a Time
Pandemic
Race for the Galaxy
The Resistance & Avalon
S'quarrels
The Settlers of Catan
Star Fluxx
Stoneage
Takenoko

Thurn and Taxis
Timeline
To Court the King
Tobago
Triads
Tsuro
Wasabi!
Zombie Dice

*Ratings are subject to change. If, for instance, I love a game but if everyone I know hates it and I never get play the rating could fall. Or if I'm "mleh" about a game but everyone loves it or it is a good social game the rating could grow.

Comments

Dave said…
I only know a few of those games, but we've been having a ton of fun with Star Fluxx... very clever references, and a totally wild playing mechanic.

But I'm baffled that Munchkin isn't on your list. Surely it's one of the best games out there?
Elizabeth said…
Munchkin is good and I have friends who love it. I have only played it twice so it does not yet qualify.