We Need To Talk

Yesterday's writing warm-up prompt was to carry a dialog between a couple. The subject could be a pregnancy announcement, a confrontation about a secret, or a break up. This was my results:

We need to talk.

That’s never a good sign.

No, it’s a good talk, I promise.

You don’t really have a great track record with promises.

What do you mean?

Last week you promised to return the movies and didn’t.

I apologized and covered the late fees.

Fine, but then you didn’t do the dishes, that’s another broken promise.

You’re still upset about that. I told you I forgot because of the doctor’s appointment, that you knew I was stressed about. And I have washed them every night this week. It was a one time mistake.

Convenient how many wrongs get covered by that one phrase “a one time mistake.” You know, I saw you yesterday at the cafe. I was going to stop in and say hi till I saw you meeting another man. I saw your embrace and then you were holding hands. I am sure that was just another one time mistake. But mistakes have consequences and they hurt other people. I have never felt so betrayed. I have never felt so cold.

It’s not what you think.

Of course you’re going to say that. Face it, you were caught and we are over. I can’t trust you anymore. I’ve already packed my things. I’ll be by later for the rest of my things.

I…

Don’t even try. There is nothing you can say that will change my mind or repair the damage you’ve caused.

How about the truth? That guy was my brother. I was telling him the news I was trying to tell when I first walked in.

Yeah, right, what did you have to say?

We’re pregnant.

Comments