Friend Movie Review: The Martian

So, this is about space and travel but not about Doctor Who.

A few weeks ago Aurora, and I went to see the The Martian. We both loved it. If you haven't seen it go see it!

Aurora had read the book and thought the movie held up well but says the book is still better. This should surprise no one, the book is always better.

Movie Review Disclaimer: There are SPOILERS ahead. Read on at your own risk.

Good:
Aurora Lee: I have to pick one thing??? This might not count as a good think, but I'm going to say I love how true they stayed to the plot and voice of the book, ,which I was worried about how well the book would be translated. I am happy that there was no need to worry. 
Me: I knew nothing about the movie before seeing it. I was expecting a very serious drama and while there were serious moments I am glad it was more than that. I laughed, I cried, it moved me. I also loved that Sean Bean's character didn't die.

Less Than Good:
Aurora Lee: they made the rescue more dramatic then it was in the book. They didn't need to but I did enjoy all the extra scenes showing the characters lives post-rescue.
Me: I found the self-surgery icky and very hard to watch...but I totally understand why it is in the movie.

Favourite Line:
Aurora Lee: Ah...what are you doing to me? How could I choose just one? This is hard, I'm going with "I need to science the shit out of this!" 
Me: I agree there were so many good lines. My favourites were the space pirate and my choice, "I don't want to come off as arrogant here, but I'm the greatest botanist on this planet."

Final Rating:
Aurora Lee: 5.5 Mars Rovers out of 7*
Me: 4.5 martian potatoes out of 5

*There are 7 rovers currently on Mars

Comments