35's Birthday Bucket List

It's been two months since my 35th birthday and I've finalized this year's set of challenges. For the last few year's I have had a tradition of setting goals for myself to enrich the year, help foster memories, and develop areas of my life. This year the challenges are group into seven categories: spiritual, relationships, adventure, hobbies, culture, health, and second-chances.

Spiritual
1) Choose My One Word for 2017
I found the process of choosing a word and the year journey with my word useful and something I want to repeat this year. The idea of the movement (project) is that by choosing a word to focus your year around and making it a lens to see the world through, it can change your life. I have had two words so far, abide and seek, I am excited to discover my next word.

2) Read the New Testament
I was given a copy of Biblica's New Testament "The Books of the Bible" a few years ago which I plan to read cover to cover this year. The differences with this version is that it removes all the added formatting and orders the books/letters in a more historically.

3) Explore Contemplative Spirituality
At Mark East this past I felt challenged to learn more about the contemplative spiritual practice and add new habits and disciplines into my life.

4) A Day of Silence
As part of the previous challenge I am going to go on a silent spiritual retreat for at least a day.

5) Be Thankful
Life is more enjoyable when I am giving thanks. I have noticed that I have not been as faithful to practice gratitude so the blog series Thankful Thursday will return. I also plan to send thank you notes and say thank you.

Relationships
6) Time with My Dad
I haven't had much time with my Dad the past few years. My Mom has been able to visit me when I was still in Nova Scotia three different times and we've had great adventures including riding in a hot air balloon. Now that I am home I would like to have some grand adventures with my Dad.

7) Friend Reunions
I am closer to most of my friends from high school and youth group now than I ever have been so I hope to be able to reconnect and visit a few of them.

8) Attend a Family Reunion
Cause family is important.

9) Send Christmas Cards
Last Christmas I bought one Christmas card, the recipient received it in May. This 2016 Christmas my goal is to give/send 16 Christmas cards before 2017.

10) Go on a Date
The rough draft of this list was "fall in love" that seemed a bit to hopeful. This goal still allows for a platonic date to happen. Either way it is going to involve getting into pretty clothes and doing something fun.

Adventure
These next set don't seem to require any explanations:

11) Take a Risk

12) Go on a Road Trip

13) Go Camping

14) Be Upside Down

15) Be Outside Canada

Hobbies
16) Try Something New

17) Join a Club/Group

18) Cosplay as a New/Different Character

19) Try Bullet Journalling
A friend sent me a link to a video about an analog organizing and life planning method called bullet journaling. I really liked it and so I want to try it. What I like about the videos I have watched is the system is flexible and adaptable to any need and even works with other productivity and leadership methods.

20) Create a 40 Before 40 Challenge List
Forty is just five years away. Instead of waiting till 39 to have a "40 before 40" I want to make a list of goals and challenges that I can accomplish over the next years that might take more effort to make happen than just a year.

Culture
21) Visit a UNESCO World Heritage Site

22) See a Musical

23) Participate in a Reading Challenge 

24) Go to a Ballet

25) Attend a Convention

Health
26) Be a Vegan for 40 Days
Thanks to my friend Jessica I've done a few vegetarian challenges. Inspired by her, a few documentaries, and books I am going to be a vegan for six weeks (42 days).

27) Keep a Food Journal

28) Complete a Pull Up

29) Dance

30) Run 5 km
This is just to run that distance, does not require participation in a 5km race but that would be nice. I just find that most races happen on Sundays when I am at church.

Second-Chance
This set of challenges were all on last year's challenge list but remained unaccomplished; this is my second (or fifth) chance for success.

31) Finally Paint This Canvas
So this has been on every challenge since 2011. I bought this canvas for my 30th birthday. My intent had been to add something every month. It didn't happen. It will be used before the end of the year.

 

32) Finish Four Children Stories
Eleven years ago I made up three stories about a polar bear name Pogo for my sister. I have started to write them down, but haven't finished. The other story was one my mom wrote in college that she has given to me to finish and tweak to send off to an agent. This is a separate goal from "write more" because it is about editing more than actual writing

33) Make a Video
I've modified this challenge. Last year it was to vlog (make a video blog). That is a bit ambitious. I am thinking about just a simple video. We shall see.

34) Draw More
Starting next week the Wednesday Weekly Sketches will return as a bi-weekly feature. I've been having fun with zentangles, doodles, and word art. So I am looking forward to trying some new things. My goal for the year is 20 sketches, bonus XP for 35 pieces.

35) Grow Something to Eat
Last year's challenge was to "keep a plant alive". After I had killed the eco-cube tree, Jenn gave me a tomato plant which stayed alive in spite of me. It was a weak pass. This year I don't just want to keep something alive I want to have a vegetable garden. It might be too late in the season but I am going to try.

Conclusion
So that is this year's 35 While 35 Challenges. Through out the year I am going to have a check in to share my progress. I plan on the updates to be on 26th (or as close to that date as possible) of each month. So the first check in will be July 26th.

It's exciting and daunting. I am not sure why I always include challenges I think are impossible. I guess it is because every now and then I actually complete them and I need to redefine "impossible."



Comments