Sister + Friend Movie Review: Batman Vs Superman -Dawn of Justice

After seeing the Justice League trailer today; it looks so good, we thought it was high time we sat down and watched Batman Vs Superman. Also, I want to say it now, on record, I love Aquaman. He's one of my favourite characters. I've been reading his comic for a while and can't wait to see Jason Momoa as Arthur Curry.

If you haven't seen Batman Vs Superman, bewared, there are potential spoilers ahead.

Good:
Liam: Lex Luther, the actor is great
Sister: Any scene with Lex.
Me: I liked Senator Finch standing up to Lex, and the symbolize of her wearing white. I enjoyed anything with Lex or Wonder Woman. I like the foreshadowing moments between Bruce and Clark. Oh, Batman telling Martha Kent "I'm a friend of your son's" she figured because of the cape. The appearance of Wonder Woman in the monster battle and any of her scenes. I really enjoyed a few actor choices of Jeremy Irons as Alfred, Amy Adams at Lois Lane, Laurence Fishburne as Perry White, and the best casting was Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luther.

Less Than Good:
Liam: The pacing is terrible
Sister: Everything.
Me: Superman being dead...not cool. I hate this as an ending even if there is a hint he'll return, I don't like ending on such a sad note. Batman branding people also not cool. For the overall story, the batman dreams and the pacing seemed to be the most obvious problems. But I think there is a deeper issue. The movie reminded me of Spider-Man 3, having too many story arches and no clear story-telling. The movie manages to feels too long, too slow, and at the same time like the important connectors got rushed or missed. The next be flaw was the lacked humour. There was a line or two but not enough to balance the grit. It lacked the charm of many of the recent Marvel movies. Also I dislike watching good guys being manipulated into fighting each other.

Favourite Character:
Liam: Alfred
Sister: Lex and Superman
Me: Wonder Woman

Favourite Moment:
Liam: Batman's Superman-Nazi dream
Sister: Superman pushing Batman over (start of the fight) and Batman fighting with a sink
Me: I had two...1) the clip of Aquaman and 2) Lex introducing Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent to each other with a foreshadowing of "you shouldn't fight him"

Finial Rating:
Liam: 2.5 Superman-Nazis out of 5
Sister: 2 Bat brands out of 5
Me: 2.2 Kruptonite spears out of 5

Finial Thoughts:
I think this could have been more fun as "Dawn of Justice" and skipped the "vs" but for what it is there are some good. There was some good set up for the next DC movie. I hope Justice League will be better. The preview looks great.

Comments