Sister Movie Review: Kubo and the Two Strings


Sister got back from her three week adventure yesterday. To celebrate and because sister bonding needed to happen we went to see Kubo and the Two Strings tonight. It was the best movie we've seen this summer and one of the best stop motion animations of all times. We highly recommend that you see it.

Since the movie is worth seeing and still very new we've tried to avoid spoilers and plot details. There only specifics we give are three lines we found humorous.

If you haven't heard of it, here is the trailer:


Good:
Sister: Everything about this movie was amazing from the plot to the voice actors to the editing. I loved the beauty of each scene, the sass of Monkey, and gorgeous music. 

Me: I completely 100% agree. I loved if from the loose "don't blink" It had the a beautiful story that was woven into a wonderful movie through excellent writing, music, and talented animation and the right touch of creep and danger mixed with love and forgiveness. It got me in the feels. It was touching, heart warming but with a bitter sweetness of a story that isn't just sunshine and rainbows.

There were so many great moments; I laughed so much. A moment that stood out was the first time Hosato, voiced by George Takei, spoke. His first words were "oh my!" as only George Takei can say it. I lost it.

Less Than Good:
Sister: there wasn't anything I didn't like.

Me: This isn't a fault with the movie, I couldn't place Beetle's voice at first. It was familiar but my brain wouldn't let it go till I got that it was Matthew McConaughey.

Enjoyable Lines:
There were so many good lines, the writing was the perfect balance of humour, sass, and endearing moments. Choosing the greatest line seemed an impossible task so instead we decided on two we still remembered.
Sister:
Kubo: "Do you say anything encouraging?"
Monkey: "I encourage you not to die."
Me: "I have a question, if you are Monkey and I am Beetle, why isn't he Boy?"

Rating:
Sister: 5 shamisen (Kubo's traditional Japanese guitar) out of 5
Me: 4.9 origami warriors out of 5



Comments