Sister Movie Review: Fantastic Beasts

Saturday Sister and I saw Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. You can barley tell we are in the picture but we are there.

And we loved the movie! I want to see it again.

There are spoilers ahead and I don't have the magic to wipe your memory so read on at your own risk.

Good
Sister: Everything. Also Newt Scamander and his nice face. I was so excited seeing a new Harry Potter-world movie for the first time.
Me: It was wonderful. I loved the setting and time period. The movie felt like a new and fresh story but with appropriate ties that reminded us its connection to the similar Harry Potter world. I liked the set up at the beginning with the newspaper articles letting us know these are dark times and that Gellert Grindelwald is a threat. I loved discovering new magically things especially walking through Newt's animal suitcase sanctuary. I loved the catching of all the missing beasts and the friendship that builds between our four heroes Newt, Jacob, Tina and Queenie. I also adored Queenie and Jacob together. I loved that there were characters to hate, and characters who did dumb things but for confusing reasons, and characters you wanted to shake but understood there motivation. I liked that there were some predictable things like Graves being evil but there were still surprises. Also since I avoided most previews I loved the reveal of Grindelwald.

Less Than Good
Sister: Jacob having his memory erased, there were other solutions.
Me: I agree. Jacob losing his memory was not cool and him having a successful bakery was not as satisfying as it would have been for him and Queenie to run away to England where muggles and wizards can marry.


Favourite Character:
Sister: Credence Barebone
Me: Jacob and Queenie

Favourite Creature:
Sister: The Thunderbirds
Me: The Niffer or The Bowtruckle

Rating:
Sister: 5 thunderbirds out of 5
Me: 4.8 occamy out of 5

We really liked the movie and think you will too. However, knowing that not everyone enjoys the same thing, if you didn't like the Harry Potter series or don't care for fantasy at all then this isn't the movie for you. I am sure others will find more wrong with the movie or how it is full of plot holes. I don't care. What I know is that it was an enjoyable time watching something new but familiar and I want to see it again.

Comments