Sister + Lee Movie Review: Doctor Strange


Sister and I love movies and we were so excited to see Doctor Strange. It was Marvel so we liked it but it wasn't our absolute favourite. To give a balanced view I asked my friend Lee to contribute to the review after he posted on Facebook that it was one of the best movies he's ever seen.

Fun Fact: While filming, Benedict Cumberbatch walked into a comic book store, in full costume, and bought an actual Doctor Strange comic. Source: IMDB

Important Fact: Stay till the very end of the credits. There is the normal extra clip after the first credit break but there is a second Easter Egg clip at the end.

Warning: Spoilers Ahead

The Good
Sister: The special effects and story was cool. I liked Benedict Cumberbatch as Dr. Strange. And there were parts I laughed at like the Cloak of Levitation whipping away a tear.
Lee: I loved the whole "expanding your perceptions" angle of the movie. The journey he took, the master characters who trained him. I loooved the special effects. I thought they were some of the best I've ever seen. And the showdown in the end? I thought it was great how Strange annoyed Dormammu into submission
Me: I love a good origin story and this had many great features. I liked the Ancient One and all her interactions with Doctor Strange. I liked the learning sequence but felt it could have been more flushed out...with that I did enjoy this method of borrowing books. I loved the special effects in the mirror world and the mystic out of body fight in the hospital. Oh, and also just how Doctor Strange worked out alternative solutions like trapping opponents in the desert and then changing the dial or the bartering with Dormammu Lee mentioned.

The Less Than Good
Sister: The sarcasm and humor felt forced and not as natural as other Marvel movies.
Me: I am in agreement with the humor. There were moments it was perfect but other times it was too little or felt forces. I don't think it was a lack of timing on Cumberbatch's part. His sarcasm was always well delivered. It was more that there wasn't a balance in the script. He didn't have the same continual funny lines like Iron Man or Ant Man. I also found parts slow and others rushed or explanations brushed over. I also did not like Mordo turning away from Doctor Strange at the end.

Favourite Character
Sister: The Ancient One
Lee: Doctor Strange
Me: The Cloak of Levitation

Rating
Sister: 3 Infinity Stones out of 5
Lee: 4 magical artifacts out of 5
Me: 3.5 forbidden books out of 5

P.S. 24 Sleeps Till Doctor Who Christmas Special

Comments