Thankful Thursday #215

It has been a rough day.

It shouldn't have been an off day. Things are good. They day was good. The sun was shining, I saw people I enjoy, had tea with a friend. Yet, in spite of those good things, I felt emotional, anxious, lonely, frustrated, and hangry. There were also moments of clenched fits and tears (not together). Little things that normally wouldn't bother me got under my skin. I found myself unable to brush off things that I normally could and hold tight slights that weren't way too tight.

On my way home tonight I was I was stewing in my own head. In the midst of replaying the bad moments and reliving the negative feelings I stopped. The realization was that I was the one putting myself through this and I had the choice to stop it. This lead to three (almost) simultaneous thoughts. The first thought was a song by Sara Groves, "How Is It Between Us?" The specific lyrics that stood out to me were:
Woke up on the wrong side of the bed,
The wrong side of the room,
The wrong side of the world.
Can't put my finger on the mood.
It's not melancholy, anger or the blues.
I love my husband, my house, my job.
Couldn't be any better,
And really what else is there?
Then I realize I'm forgetting God,
And that's the root of all my misery.
Lord, first of all, how is it between you and me?
The second thought was a follow-up question, "how is my soul?" And the third thought was, it's Thursday. It's "Thankful Thursday!" I will blog when I get home. I use to blog specifically write "Thankful Thursdays" after Thursday youth groups because if it was a good week there were things to celebrate. Or if it had been a day like today, the act of seeking the good reset my brain, refreshed my spirit, and brought me to a place of praise. It was the best thing for my spiritual journey and my relationship with Jesus. All of  which is good for my soul.

And so this good habit of weekly Thankful Thursday writing is being renewed (again). Because nothing is wrong it just seems like it. So, in the midst of that seeming, I am thankful for:

1) my dear friend Jamie has successfully journeyed around the sun yet again, today though I am far from him I celebrate this milestone and say "Jamie I am glad you exist and that I know you.:"

2) I had a lovely tea visit with one of my adult friends

3) the beautiful produce we've been able to harvest from our garden and share with friends

4) another day of driving with no accidents

5) it has been lovely weather (especially after a summer of much rain)

6) my friend Susi and Stuart who are kind hosts

7) for two hoppy sightings. I don't know when it happened by in the last year being surprised by toads or frogs is becoming one of my favourite small things. This is the hoppy mom found clinging to the side of our house tonight

If you are unfamiliar with Sara Groves, this is the song I mentioned from her Conversations album:

Comments