Sister + Friends Movie Review: Thor: Ragnarok

We saw THOR!!!

There was so much almost palpable anticipation leading up to Thor: Ragnarok release. Each trailer just built the hype; there was jumping and screaming. There are a few fans in our circle of friends. So this past Friday night six of us went to the very late show. We got home very very early this morning but the lack of sleep was worth it.

WARNING: There are major spoilers in this review.

The Good:
Brendan: There was great comedy, especially Korg (the rock-guy). The female leads were believable, strong, and not witchy* I also like how Hulk was given character growth and an actual personality.
Zach: There was an enjoyable balance of action and comedy. I normally loose interest in movies and this one held my attention.
Darby: Everything about this movie was awesome!
Liam: I liked it
Sister: I loved this. It was the best! We are going to see it again. I loved every moment of Loki and the theme music.
Me: I think the first thing that stuck me was how more there was to the film than the trailer gave. The trailer gave you enough to get excited but didn't spoil the movie. I hate when you see a trailer that plays off the movie as a comedy and the best jokes were in the trailer. I equally dislike trailers that leave nothing to discover; you know the outcome before you see the movie. Thor's marketing team overcame both those pitfalls. I was surprised by the film. There were things the trailer didn't give away. I was expecting my favourite line to be "we're friends from work" and it's still a great moment but it was only one of a number. There was still mystery to the story and I loved it. There were so many jokes, scenes, and even characters that were wonderful. The story has a lot of locations, it didn't feel over worked or choppy. The scene switches made sense, there were great set-ups early for later events that didn't feel like set-ups till after the fact, and a number of amazing one liners.

I loved Hela as a villain. I also loved that it wasn't Thor or even Team Revengers that defeated her. Yes, they thought up the plan but it wasn't there actual strength or skills that lead to her demise. I also liked with the ending it was happy-sad. They lost the place but saved the people. It was despair mixed with hope. Hope has a big theme in my thinking lately and I liked how the concept was reflected in the movie.

The Less Than Good:
Brendan: I had no complaints, just minor things like Hela's helmet made no sense and she looked better with her real hair. It would have been better if she had more screen time. Also, the music was mediocre. There was nothing great or memorable from the soundtrack and that is disappointing.
Zach: I enjoy mythologies and the changes Marvel has made to the real stories bothers me. Hela is really Loki's daughter. That still would have been a good movie plot to watch.
Darby: Hela seemed OP (overpowered) and the acting directions for Bruce Banner bothered me. I get they were going for in shock but he seemed dumb and clueless and Banner is neither of those things.
Liam: The giant wolf Fenris isn't used more.
Sister: The fake "lost your eye" make-up job they did on Thor looked bad
Me: There were parts of the Doctor Strange scenes that just bothered me. I think partly because we had seen some of the scenes at the end of the Doctor Strange movie. I did enjoy having Strange make a cameo, witnessing the improved power, and seeing him wearing the Eye again. Another thing I couldn't quite put my finger on was related to the voice of the writing. There were a few sarcastic lines that the writing sounded like the same person wrote them regardless of which character said the line, the exceptions were Korg and Grandmaster.

Favourite Character:
Brendan: Korg
Zach: Korg
Darby: Korg and Loki
Liam: Korg
Sister: Loki
Me: Hela

A Memorable Quote:
Brendan: "Doug use to say that. Hi New Doug" -Korg
Zach: The second time Korg shows up and says, "we have this big ship. Want to come with us?" (This is not the exact wording)
Darby: Would have to see again, there are too many to choose just one.
Liam: "The damage is not too bad. As long as the foundations are still strong, we can rebuild this place. It will become a haven for all peoples and aliens of the universe. Oof. Now those foundations are gone. Sorry." -Korg
Sister: Get Help Plan:

Me: "What are you, Thor, god of hammers?" -Odin

A Standout Scene:
Brendan: Too many to choose just one.
Zach: When Thor sees Loki tied up and throws something up to see if it is an illusion and earlier when Korg attacks the Loki hologram
Darby: In the champion battle, Thor slowly places his hand on Hulk's hand, hoping to calm him down like Natasha used to. Suddenly, Hulk grabs Thor and flattens him with repeated smashes into the floor. Loki cheers, "YES! That's what it feels like!"
Liam: Too many to choose just one.
Sister: The whole Thor coming home to Asgard and Loki is faking being Odin
Me: The Valkyrie's memory of their defeat at the hands of Hela, the switching of the history murals, and Thor gaining his powers without his hammer.

Rating:
Brendan: 5 party ships with all the birthday fireworks out of 5
Zach: 5 exploding hammers out of 5
Darby: 5 Asgardian corpses out of 5
Liam: 3.5 rock people
Sister: 5 Loki helmets out of 5
Me: 4.3 Valkyrie out of 5

Final Thoughts: We loved the movie. There was much to enjoy about Thor: Ragnarok. If you like the Marvel universe or superhero movies you'll enjoy this. I don't know how accessible it would be for someone who hasn't seen the first two Thor movies or Avengers 2. This built on the relationships and character development of those earlier movies. It will also be interesting to see where Marvel takes Thor and Loki in their next film appearance. All in all a fun movie.

*I've edited out some of the language choices, mostly because it is my blog and I can but also I know a few of my readers would appreciate it.

Comments