Friend Movie Review: The Avengers (2012)

This is the last MCU review before Infinity War. I am relieved that we got through Phase One. The Phase Two and Three reviews will come...over the next days and weeks. Hopefully all of them will be up before Ant-Man and the Wasp.

Avengers is six years old, but this may be useful for a few: there could be SPOILERS AHEAD.

The Good:
Susi: It was entertaining.
Stuart: Yes, definitely entertaining.
Brendan: I liked that each character gets screen time and yet it doesn't feel like they were trying to give every actor screen time; the scenes and standout moments fit the story being told.
Me: Where do you begin. I liked everything! Okay, almost everything, and the things I don't like still enhance the plot. I love Captain America in this movie. I enjoy Black Widow and Hawkeye's friendship. I squee over Colson fan-girling. I like what Joss Whedon does. The development of this team is fun to watch with growing friendships and real tensions and differing view points. Also, I love that Ashley Johnson (from Growing Pains and now Blindspot, also a D&D twitch show called Critical Role) has a small part as the rescued waitress.

The Less Than Good:
Susi: I agree with Stuart
Stuart: It was violent, more than the others. Also I didn't like that Colson died.
Brendan: Loki isn't being Loki. He isn't being a god of mischief. His actions are more like a 15 year old who got involved with a gang (Thanos) and got in too deep too quick. Also, the threat against Loki for failing Thanos isn't acted on...ever. Not in this movie and not in any of the others. Was it just an empty threat? Or have they forgotten? (Liz Note...maybe it hasn't happened yet. Thor and Loki's ship was picked up but Thanos at the end of Ragnarok) Last thing, the scepter Loki is given by Thanos doesn't make sense.
Me: I dislike Nick Fury lying about the Captain America cards also Colson would have kept the cards in protective sleeves. I had never thought of Loki not being a trickster in this movie, but now that I have heard it I agree. He's a good villain but he's not really Loki (or what I imagine of Loki). Actually, while I was reading quotes, I dislike the conversation between Stark and Rogers in which Cap says Tony wouldn't make a sacrifice and Stark says Cap is just a lab rat. I can see why fight is in the script but I hate it.

This Time Around:
Brendan: The first time I saw this I was eight; at the time conflicts didn't make sense. This time I could follow the plot and it made more sense. There is more in-team fighting in this movie than in Civil-War. And I still think Avengers is better.
Me: I've lost count how many times I've seen this film and I still enjoy it. I am still noticing little things I never saw before (or finally see after reading an article like "15 Easter Eggs You Probably Missed" for example I never noticed them run past the Shawarma place Stark talks about.) Things that really stand out are the low level agents like Sitwell that turn up in Civil War. I love all the continuity that flows across the MCU that I never appreciated but that people included to make the world richer.

Favourite Scene:
Susi: The Hulk and Loki mash-up. That starts with Loki announcing he's a god and Hulk thwamping him about and saying "puny god"
Stuart: Black Widow talking to Loki. That moment when you think he's broken her and in an instant realize she's been working him.
Brendan: Natasha Romanoff: Gentlemen, you might want to step inside in a minute. It's going to get a little hard to breathe.
[as the Helicarrier starts to power up, Steve Rogers and Bruce Banner walk to the edge]
Steve Rogers: Is this a submarine? Bruce Banner: Really? They want me submerged in a pressurized metal container?
[Rogers and Banner stand at the edge and they look over as the Helicarrier starts to slowly rise out of the ocean to fly]
Bruce Banner: [smiles] Oh, no, this is MUCH worse!
[Rogers hands $10 to Fury]
Me: I'm having a hard time narrowing it down to one. I think I'll go with the German man standing up to Loki.

Favourite Line:
Susi: Tony Stark: Yeah, that was just previews. This is - this is opening night. And Loki, he's a full-tilt diva, right? He wants flowers, he wants parades. He wants a monument built to the skies with his name plastered... [Stark pauses; he and Rogers look at each other knowingly] Sonofa...!
Stuart: Loki taps Stark in the chest with his scepter, but the Arc Reactor stops the effect. Loki tries again looking more than a little confused, Loki: This usually works...
Tony Stark: Well, performance issues, it's not uncommon. One out of five...
Brendan: "Ant....Boot" -Nick Fury
Me: Thor: Have a care how you speak! Loki is beyond reason, but he is of Asgard and he is my brother!
Natasha Romanoff: He killed eighty people in two days.
Thor: He's adopted.

Favourite Avenger:
Susi: Black Widow
Stuart: Captain America, but Stark is great to watch
Brendan: Nick Fury
Me: Agent Phil Colson

Rating:
Susi: 4.1 bionic arrows out of 5
Stuart: 4.125 portals out of 5
Brendan: 4 bloody trading cards 5
Me: 4.4 magic glow sticks of destiny out of 5

Fun Fact:
Joss Whedon suggested to Marvel, that there should be a bigger villain plotting behind-the-scenes, which enabled Loki to conquer the Earth, and that someone should be Thanos the Mad Titan. The executives just rolled with it. -I love that I'm seeing Infinity War tonight because the executives listened to Whedon. Now, if only execs were truly listening during Firefly. As always this factoid is from the IMDb trivia page.

Comments